This Thanksgiving, in addition to counting your blessings and listing out the things that you are thankful for, how about a mindful perspective-changing exercise?
- List one thing that you are not thankful for or are unhappy with in your life right now.
- List one reason why you are thankful for or are happy with it. There are always two sides to every coin, so rack your brains and try to find one positive thing about #1.
- List one small thing that you can do to to create one more reason in answer to #2. Is there something you would like to change? Are you ready to make a small step towards a positive change?
- Repeat as needed.
Julie is a middle-aged mother of two teens, wife, nurse, and has chronic back pain. Here are her answers to the above exercise.
- I am not thankful for and am very unhappy with my chronic back pain,
- I guess I am thankful that I am more aware of my back at work and try to bend from my knees more.
- I will go to a healthcare professional to learn how to reduce and manage my back pain.
Were you able to find the positive side to your #1? Ask friends and family for help if you can't. Heck, make it a family tradition to share around the feast table!